Stephanie Hwang
Case #929574[email protected](310) 945-7153
Stage
plumber coordination
Urgency
urgent
Sensitivity
standard
Assigned
Unassigned
Licensee
Case Overview
plumber coordination
—
Unassigned
—
$8,200
$5,980
MIS report attached, additional reports in Dropbox. Owns condo (1965) Dr. Jenny Root & Dr. Barker Background / timeline: • I’ve been very ill for about 15 months • In June, I tested positive for 5 different mycotoxins • My ERMI was high (25) - hired a mold dog, they said house has “average levels of mold” • Found a wet section of wall in master bedroom • Inspection company could not take cavity sample, and the air samples all came out clean • I hired a remediation company to remediate the master bathroom - there was some mold in the walls but not too bad (visually) • The adjoining master bedroom was cleaned and sanitize. • The mold dog, the many inspection companies and remediation companies that came to quote all seemed to think the mold was not that bad Testing results: • The bathroom passed the post-remediation surface swab • I took surface swabs in the bedroom both before and after cleaning • The pre-cleaning bedroom swab already came back “clean,” which really confused me Current issue: • I feel immediately unwell when I enter the bedroom • Even after remediation and cleaning, I still react (but less than before the cleaning) I spent 10 min in the bathroom, felt really unwell, took me an hour to recover • Symptoms include increased heart rate, throat swelling and increased anxiety, body clenching All items have been removed from the bedroom for cleaning. My body is responding to an empty room What I’m trying to understand: • Why I’m still reacting to the bedroom after remediation and cleaning • Confusing that the bedroom surface swab could already be clean, before the cleaning, despite a high ERMI • Whether others have reacted strongly to spaces that technically “passed” testing Additional context: • The inspector mentioned surface swabs only detect spores, not mycotoxins • They recommended a mycotoxin test of the bedroom, which I’m considering • I strongly feel this is mold-related rather than another toxin • I once sniffed hard a blanket that had been in the bedroom and had an immediate physical reaction - my ears started ringing • After washing the blanket, that reaction didn’t happen again In november, pre rem, i spent a week away from my home. When i came back i noticed my throat was swelling, nose congested, and mild chronic headache Questions I’m wondering if there are still mycotoxins present in the ceiling cavity (its connected to the entire ceiling, beyond what they opened up. If thats the case, is there a solution for this / is this cleanable to an occupiable standard? I ordered a mycotoxin test (realtime). The inspector recommended i swab the entire house - I’m not sure what the point in that is. How can the house not have mycotoxins? I would like support in figuring out what data im trying to obtain from the mycotoxin testing, and which areas i should swab. While i do the mycotoxin test, wait for results, decide to do another round of remediation, what can i do immediately for improved health? (I taped up the vent in the bedroom, I’m installing plastic screen doors at 4 different points to keep the bedroom and bathroom contained) Should i try further remediation or should i just leave the house? (i own the condo) We need to pause before we proceed and weigh out all of the variables to make sure remediation makes the most sense for our own unique situation. Consulting with Matt is a great idea for a deeper dive and specific guidance. If further inspection and remediation make the most sense, we spend time learning how it should be done (accurate knowledge is our super power with mold), making sure we vet companies, do Ermi+ first, followed by mold dog and a good mold inspector to have the best chance of locating all hidden molds, getting everything in writing and then showing up to make sure they’re doing what they say. We have to be willing to part with items and grieve the losses. We need to make sure all follow up steps are completed and in the right order. Video #219 We have a walk-through Thursday 3/19 at 10 am. She may not be ready for a remediation just yet. We suggested she consult with Osmin and possibly have an IEP come out and do more testing first. Monday 3/30/26 Osmin’s notes; I reviewed documents and spoke with her. I told her I don’t believe the other units have a huge impact on her unit. I think her unit has hidden damage. I recommended you guys do a thorough visual inspection and perform pathways testing for her. I told her you would get her a cost to do testing, investigation and then generate a scope of work & estimate based on everything. I would charge $125-$175 per hour for this on top of the costs for pathways. Order pathways smalls from restcon and find out much they would charge you and then mark that up 30%. Or have her order the pathways stuff and you only charge for your time to take the samples and do a visual investigation. Saturday 4/4/26 she ordered Pathways testing kit, 120 swabs for her 1118 ft.² apartment, expedited shipping because she’s leaving on a trip this Thursday for 2 wks. She asked if we could come this week to do it for her and agreed to pay $150hr. We'll need to explain the process of taking samples twice to establish if there are any "hotspots." We will recommend she hire a cleaning service between rounds. (much less expensive.) Once the results are known, we'll discuss a POA to move forward. Pack out option is easier, faster and the best opportunity to remove, replace or clean, any contaminated property before they are brought back into the home. This should happen after the second round of Pathways testing and before we remediate /FPC home. She asked us to put an estimate together to remediate the bathroom and FPC the rest of the apartment. (waived fee) Stephanie said shipping has been delayed. We’lll check back with her next week unless we hear from her sooner. Stephanie received the Pathways kit and we are coordinating our schedules. We scheduled for Thursday 4/16 between 8-9 to take the first round of samples. 4/16/26 When I arrived at 8:15 the perimeter of the apartment wasn’t cleared and the pathways testing kit was not there. We spoke on the phone and the client apologized and agreed to pay for my travel time. We will reschedule for another day. Invoice 1023/travel fee paid. 4/28/26 Stephanie has decided to take the samples herself due to budget constraints. Once the results are back, we will coordinate a POA for remediation. Per client, 5/5/26 First round of Pathways testing mailed out. I emailed Stephanie to request her sharing the results of the first round of testing when they’re received. First round of Pathways tests received 5/14/26. She is preparing for the second round. Stephanie asked for an approximate timeline for her project. We informed her that typically it would take about three months. 5/24/26 Stephanie sent in the second round of Pathways testing swabs yesterday (kitchen 20-25 tomorrow). 5/26/26 Per Stephanie's request, I emailed a detailed description of our process to help her better understand what to expect. She is also informed us that she's scheduling reconstruction of the area exposed during the first remediation. 6/2/26 The second round of pathways testing results show no areas of concern. I will reach out to schedule FPC of entire apartment. 6/4/26 It was a pleasure speaking with you today. I am glad to hear you are making progress with decluttering in preparation for the upcoming cleaning process. To address your question regarding whether Pathways testing results could be masked by Decon 3 or hydrogen peroxide: the answer is yes. However, since Jared and I are not certain of the specific mechanics, we recommend contacting RestCon directly to ask about their process. Regarding sealing the "pathways" once your project is complete, we agree that using molding or caulking followed by painting would be beneficial. As discussed, here are the IEP referrals we recommend for your project: - Joe Guiterriez: (949) 239-3727 | [email protected] (GPMI) - Jason Levy: (310) 804-6603 | [email protected] (3AM Advisors) 6/18/26 We sent both estimate options today. 6/24/26 I sent a follow up email regarding estimates. 7/1/26 I left a follow up voicemail. 7/6/26 I sent an email to see if they want to move forward. 7/8/26 We're going to revise her estimate to accommodate her budget. 7/9/26 We sent the revised estimate today. We recommended Ivonne (703) 268-9056 to do the SPC (Small Particle, Cleaning) to better accommodate her budget. 7/13/26 I emailed Stephanie providing directions for the next steps.. 7/14/26 I sent the DocuSign today. 7/15/26 Stephanie signed the contract. We’ll invoice for deposit and schedule her project. 7/16/26 We're working with Ivonne to negotiate the appropriate price for SPC. 7/23/26 We’ve scheduled our start date for remediation on 8/10/26. We will coordinate with Ivonne to follow with SPC. 8/5/26 I have a call scheduled at 3pm to discuss her concerns. Hi Stephanie, (HVAC cleaning referral) I’m not able to take this on at this time. My colleague Joseph Quigley and mentor Vince Cord service your area +1 (310) 947-0182. I’m booked out 6 weeks currently. We’re going to coordinate with her plumber to fix the leak once we stabilize and demo the bathroom wall. 8/7/26 The guys have been emailed the SOW to start project on Monday 8/10/26. 8/14/26 Jared spoke with Stephanie regarding the first payment & CO#1 due she assured him a check from her uncle will arrive by Monday 8/17. We are delayed due to plumbing repairs needed. Client is in dispute with HOA over payment for the plumbing. 8/25/26 Client paid with check (#) for equipment set + CO #1. 8/31/26 Stephanie requested a report of the issues that happened in her unit to prove to her neighbor and/or HOA where & what caused the issues. We recommended an IEP and respectfully explained that we are not certified to make that report. 9/17/26 We sent change order #2 today for approval and signature. 9/21/26 Good morning, Stephanie, We’re quite busy right now, so I’d like to schedule a time to review our findings from Friday, discuss next steps, and get an update on Gilbert’s findings from Saturday. Are you available today at 3:00 p.m. or tomorrow at 10:00 a.m.? I hope you’re doing well. Talk to you soon. Ok lets do 3pm today. The plumber found more leaks. which delays us returning to do remediation. I notified Ivonne regarding the delay for SPC.